Thursday, December 16, 2010

Goan Pancakes

This is my first post in the blog world. I have been a regular reader of Oh taste N See, my friend Denny's blog and had tried many of her recipes which came out really well. I always wanted to post recipes from my grandma, aunt, MIL and my sister and so here I am starting a new blog. Denny's 'Flavors of Goa' event kindled an interest to try something new.

My recipe today is Goan Pancakes.
I have rarely tried something sweet since my DH is not a big fan of sweets, but he did like this.
                                         
Ingredients:
Yields - 12 pancakes
Preparation time - 15 mins
Standing time - 30 mins
For the Pancakes:
Maida/All-purpose flour - 2 cups
Egg (Room temp) - 1
Milk - 1 1/2 cups (I used 2% milk)
Water - 1 1/2 cups
Butter - 1 tbsp
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp (optional)
Salt - 1/2 tsp
For the Filling:
Palm Jaggery - 3 medium diamonds - ~ 3/4 cup
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp

Method:
In a mixing bowl add the AP flour, salt, butter,vanilla essence and egg yolk.
Whisk the egg whites seperately until frothy and add to the flour mixture. Mix the flour with a hand mixer/whisk/fork adding milk first and then the water. The batter should be of thin and pouring consistency without lumps. Set aside for 30 mins.

In a small kadai, add the powdered jaggery together with the coconut and place on medium heat until the jaggery is incorporated well in the coconut and the coconut takes the color of the jaggery. Make sure to stir the mixture frequently when on heat (approx 15 mins) to avoid burning. Switch off heat and let cool.

After 30 mins, heat a pan (a wide kadai or a dosa pan will do) in medium high heat and spray some oil all over the pan.
When the pan is hot, pour a ladle full of the pancake batter in the center and swirl the pan/kadai in a circular manner so that the batter spreads on the pan like a crepe or an aapam. Allow to cook on one side for approximately 60-90 secs. Flip over with a spatula and cook on the next side for around 60 secs.
When done transfer to a plate or a cutting board.


Take one spoon of the coconut-jaggery mixture and place in one corner of the pancake like below. Fold the right and left edges slightly over the filling. Roll the pancake starting from the filling side and until the end to make it look like a spring roll.

I am sending this to Denny's Flavors of Goa event.
Iam also sending this to Food Palette Series-White event by Torviewtoronto

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kiri.....
    Welcome to food blogging....very very happy that you've joined the club. Thanks for sending this to my event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi,this crepe looks v inviting....thank you for sharing..


    subhieskitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to blogging
    Thank you for linking these delicious pancakes we make very similar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can u pls send me in fed-ex looks grt??????

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi friend welcome to blog world
    pancake looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Krithi, I totally love this especially with the jaggery coconut filling- scrumptious! We make something similar for breakfast in Kerala, minus the vanilla. In fact I have it in my drafts.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.