Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Cinnamon French Toast | Breakfast Recipes

Grandma used to make these little egg-y bread surprises for our evening snacks when we were in school. Two types were on the menu, one the regular sweet ones and another savory one spiced with chilli powder. My sister prefers the savory one but I had an inclination over the sweet ones because I am well known as the one with the sweet tooth. My grandma was also famous for making (inventing) creative snacks with bread. I am yet to try her Bread Bonda and hope to do sometime soon. 
Fast forward to today, Saturday mornings are usually french toast or pancake mornings. My little one and I share a plate to eat these direct from the pan french toasts. He loves to watch me cook and as always adds a "Yummy yummy" to whatever I am making. "Yummy yummy circle dosa", "Yummy yummy star dosa" or "Yummy yummy bread bread" in this case.



Ingredients:
Serves - 3
Bread - 6-8 slices
Eggs - 3
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Whole Milk - 1/2 cup
Vanilla - 1/2 tsp
Ground cinnamon - 1 tsp, heaped
Salt - a dash
Butter, melted - 1 tbsp
Powdered sugar - as needed to sprinkle on top

Method:
Whisk the melted (cooled) butter and eggs until frothy. Add the sugar and milk. Whisk until smooth. Add the salt, cinnamon and vanilla. Place a non-stick pan (or seasoned cast iron pan) in medium heat. Dip the bread slices for about 4 seconds each side and place in the heated pan. Cook in medium heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate and serve with berries and powdered sugar.
Notes:
It is important to cook these toasts in medium heat, because high heat causes the sugar to burn quickly. Also do not disturb the bread slices for 3 minutes to achieve nice caramelization. 

1 comment:

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.